Madden Bible
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Madden Bible

Home of the Prima Games Madden 12 & NCAA 12 EA Sports Official Game Guide

PortalPortal  HomeHome  FREE Tips!  C4 Online Madden League  My Madden Pad  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Register here today and instantly receive a FREE Madden Bible tip in your inbox!

back surgery

Go down 
+6
hitsquad
2012killem
mp
rayneman23
mgcomedy
king_jason2
10 posters
AuthorMessage
king_jason2

king_jason2

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: back surgery   back surgery EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 12:33 pm

I've been a very active person all my life and have always had a go big or go home type personality. i was and still am very involved in athletics. I was a 3 sport captain in high school (winter/spring track & football), Played college football, amatuer boxing and became very involved in MMA the past 2 years. all the while I am addicted to weight training whether it be crossfit or bodybuilding type workouts i cannot get enough. my poundages on certain lifts can get pretty heavy on good days. currently i am on active duty service in the army. I finished a 15 month deployment to Iraq and have been engaged by the enemy numerious times, been involved in various fire fights and even have had a direct impact from an IED(improvised explosive device) on my truck while on patrol. needless to say my body has been through a lot! and i think all the wear and tear has caught up to me!
next tuesday on OCT 5th 2010 I am to undergo a pretty serious back surgery(scared to death) which is called a microdiscectomy of the L4-L5-S1 disc/vertebrae. the reason im getting this surgery is that i cannot deal with the pain anymore , ever since i was little ive always been taught to suck it up and as we say in the army "soldier on" even with this back pain i have continued to weight train and "roll"(MMA) I've gotten to the point where i have barely any sensation in my right leg because the discs are bulging and compressing my sciatic nerve. also the pain in my lower back is pretty much unbearable. I dunno why i am posting this but i just need to vent and perhaps get some advice from people who have been through or know someone who has gone through a similar situation or surgery. I'm trying to have a positive outlook on this situation but it is very hard for someone who is as active as me to shed light on the fact that im going to be seriously immobile while i recover, and lose all the gains i have worked so hard for in the gym, its just all so frustrating. the only positive things i can take from this is that if all goes well i will have no more pain and be able to resume my daily activities ie: the gym. and that i will have all the time in the world to play madden and improve my game(lol my attempt @ humor for a sh!tty situation)
THANKS just needed to get this off my chest, all my friends and family see me as a "big tough guy" but in reality im REALLY scared and worried because i have a family to provide for so hopefully all ends well
heres a video of a procedure similar to the one i will be going thru https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKjkUMsXF2E
Back to top Go down
http://j.crabb2@yahoo.com
mgcomedy

mgcomedy

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: back surgery   back surgery EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Hey man...

I am praying for your now and will be praying for you next Tuesday!!

Mg
Back to top Go down
http://www.mgcomedy.com
rayneman23

rayneman23

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: back surgery   back surgery EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 2:05 pm

wow thats deep my mom has a herniated disc in he back its rough on her. but i do hope and pray that all goes well 4 u and u can resume an active life.
Back to top Go down
mp

mp

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: back surgery   back surgery EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 5:19 pm

can't view the vid,I'm in turkey and youtube is banned here (it really is). good luck with your surgery
Back to top Go down
2012killem

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: back surgery   back surgery EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:05 pm

thanx 4 sharing ur story with the community Jason, GOD BLESS; and i wish u a speedy recovery! KEEP UR HEAD UP! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
hitsquad

hitsquad

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: back surgery   back surgery EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 12:19 am

goold luck hope u hav a good recovery
Back to top Go down
UseRPicK101

UseRPicK101

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: back surgery   back surgery EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 12:22 am

Yo, stay up bruh. Don't let that sh!t get the best of you.
Back to top Go down
spincter

spincter

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: back surgery   back surgery EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 2:54 am

good luck and god bless
Back to top Go down
nitka

nitka

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: back surgery   back surgery EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Good Luck Bro!! I love the "go big or go home" attitude its hard to change that because it sounds like thats you. I also know that even though you have been through a lot that its OK to be scared. Stay strong man it will all work out.
Back to top Go down
http://maddenrevolution.com
ZFarls
Admin
ZFarls

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: back surgery   back surgery EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 3:01 pm

Dang, I just read about a back surgery on the guy from deadspin, he wrote a similar post and it was great.

"This is a story about pain. If you've ever had it, maybe you'll feel compelled to read on. If you never have, I hope you never do.

I had surgery on my back two days ago. A doctor slit open my lower back, swept my muscle and nerve tissue to the side, drilled through my vertebrae, and took out a piece of one of my discs that was pressing against a nerve running down my right leg. I'm told the disc is the consistency of crab meat. I had planned on asking the doctor to save whatever he took out of me. I kinda wanted to sell it or eat it. But I forgot to ask.

This is the third time I've had this kind of surgery. I'm 33. My first back surgery occurred when I was 18. You aren't supposed to have surgery on your back at 18. That's not good. Every time I have one of these surgeries, I can't help but feel my body has become increasingly and irretrievably broken. I can do everything right. I can stretch. I can exercise. I can lose weight. I can take all the medication in the world. None of that changes the fact that I have three degenerating discs in my spine, all stacked on top of one another, and that one false move will cause them to collapse once more, leaving me in complete fucking agony. I know deep in my heart that Monday's surgery was most certainly not my last.

I slipped my first disc for unknown reasons. I slipped my second disc playing touch football. I slipped my third disc less than a month ago when I was helping my son put on his shoe. That's all I did. I wasn't rock climbing or jumping out of a fucking plane. I was just trying to get a sneaker on my one-year-old. Hardly seems fair.

Pain is a terribly lonely, isolating thing. It's like depression, only it comes armed. By definition, pain is the brain's way of letting you know something is wrong somewhere in your body. In that sense, pain is a thought. And it's a thought that, no matter how hard you try, you cannot possibly express to someone else. It's all your own. No one can know exactly what it feels like. No one else can feel it jumping in and out of various points on your body, like Nightcrawler disappearing and reappearing out of thin air. No one else knows about those times when it subsides, only to cruelly come roaring back because you somehow displeased it in some manner. Pain will occupy your every thought while it's around. You cannot think about anything else, and you cannot engage with anyone else on a meaningful level while you're suffering from it because **** THIS HURTS. It makes you a different person, one who is monstrously self-absorbed and all too aware of that fact. Whenever my back gives out and my leg begins screaming in pain, I always picture myself at 60 years old, too far gone for any useful treatment and condemned to spend the rest of my existence memorizing the ceiling tiles.

After I had my second surgery, the doctor told me it would be best if I never ran or played golf ever again. Now, I suck at both those endeavors. Giving them up was not a terribly difficult thing to do. But there's still something disturbing about the idea that there are things I should not and cannot ever do again. It's like a part of your life has died, and I often find myself wondering what else I'll have to cross off the list down the road. I hope eating bacon won't ever have to be sacrificed.

Anyway, if you have a functioning body, I strongly recommend you take care of it. In the end, it's all you ever really have. And once it goes, you don't get it back. I played football (poorly) for 10 years. I never saw the field, but I did hitting in practice and all that sh!t. I never had a direct injury as a result of playing, but I know d@mn well that this rotting spine of mine would have been better off had I never played. sh!t, I wasn't even good. I don't know why I even bothered. The doctor that operated on me showed me a model of fusion surgery, which is where they take out the entire disc and bolt together two of the vertebrae. It's what awaits me in the future. He told me that he performed this operation on Reed Doughty of the Redskins. Doughty was back to playing football mere months later. I would not want to be Reed Doughty at 40 years old. If my son wants to play football in school, I'm buying his *** a pair of soccer shinguards.

Now, some notes about getting operated on:

• I had to get an MRI before my operation. If you've ever had an MRI, you know that you have to lie down in a fucking tube for an unreasonable period of time. Up to 25 minutes. If you're watching a football game or reading a good book or something, 25 minutes goes by like that. But when you have NOTHING to do? When all you have to do is count down until you can finally get out? It's FOREVER. You feel like you've been buried alive. And the noise coming from the machine is deafening. It sounds like someone let a bunch of preschoolers into a drum shop. Do not get an MRI.

• They showed me the MRI on a computer in my doctor's office. The MRI is a cross section of what your body looks like. Basically, it's what you'd look like if someone butchered you. My vertical cross section looked like a side of beef. Some tasty cuts in there, to be certain. I'd eat me. I'D EAT ME SO HARD.

• They give you all kinds of kickass hospital bracelets when you have surgery. I love these things. I feel like I went to six happy hours whenever I wear them.

• I had to sign a consent form allowing the doctor to give me a blood transfusion if I lost blood during the surgery. And all I could think while signing it was, "Please don't give me the AIDS blood. Please don't give me the AIDS blood." Because I know d@mn well they have the AIDS blood ready in a super-duper emergency, like if all the O negative is gone and they HAVE to use the AIDS blood, they'll use that AIDS blood.

• They made me wear latex stockings prior to the surgery to prevent blood clots in my legs. These stockings turned me on far more than they should have.

• Everyone is very nice to you when you have surgery. They pay attention to you. They fetch you things. They clean up your vomit, regardless of where you vomit. It's cool. Before I left the hospital, I barfed orange Gatorade into a plastic bag. Lots of it. The nurses were way impressed with my output. Then I just handed that sh!t to a nurse and she took it away without complaint. Let's see your sorority sisters be that proactive.

• It's not fun to get surgery right as your COBRA insurance is about to lapse. You'd be surprised how many health insurers don't want to insure a man with three back surgeries and a scotch habit.

• I had outpatient surgery, which means you go home the same day they cut you open. But they won't let you leave the hospital until you go to the bathroom. Because of the anesthesia and drugs, my bladder was paralyzed. I couldn't go. I strained and pushed, but nothing came out but a tiny trickle. That's when the nurse said, "Okay then, we'll have to catheterize you." And that's when I said, "HANG ON, BEEYATCH." And I summoned the strength of a thousand bladders and squeezed out 250 mL of dust-brown fluid. The nurse told me virtually every man gets right to pissing after she brings up catheterization. And with good reason. I've never had a tube up my dick, and I ain't starting. If you've made it through life without a tube up your dick, I say you've come out ahea
d.
Back to top Go down
http://www.maddenbible.com
king_jason2

king_jason2

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: back surgery   back surgery EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 6:37 pm

thanks so much for the encouraging word guys really its much appreciatied. farls the description of that dude procedure is the EXACT same surgery and he has the exact same symptoms that i have pain in the right leg ect.... im just gunna hit this with the warrior attitude and come back stronger! but for now i just gotta listen to the doc and do what he perscribes , im not messing around with my spine NO SIR!!! after tuesday ill be taking it pretty slow but i will prob be on that friday to let ya know how it went ...after those good meds wear off lol
Back to top Go down
http://j.crabb2@yahoo.com
Sponsored content

back surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: back surgery   back surgery Empty

Back to top Go down

back surgery
Page 1 of 1