Madden Bible
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Madden Bible

Home of the Prima Games Madden 12 & NCAA 12 EA Sports Official Game Guide

PortalPortal  HomeHome  FREE Tips!  C4 Online Madden League  My Madden Pad  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Register here today and instantly receive a FREE Madden Bible tip in your inbox!

Madden and real football help

Go down 
+3
black udder
wangtangkiki
huw140269
7 posters
AuthorMessage
huw140269

huw140269

Madden and real football help Empty
PostSubject: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 6:56 pm

By my avatar I think its obvious Im a Brit, but did live in Arizona for a couple of years. My football knowledge is pretty good, especially compared to your average person outside the US. But saying that Ive never played the game and was wondering if there was anywhere online I could get further information about formations.

For example I know the basics such as nickel, dime on defense and on offence the I Formation is self explanatory as is shotgun but I have a hard time remembering where plays are in my playbook and I think it would be easier if I knew what I was looking for - Im just looking for some info on things that you guys learn in high school because you play the game - Snugs ????? I have no idea what that means ? There are others like that that unless they are mentioned during commentary on a Sunday I have never heard of them

Any help would be appreciated
Back to top Go down
wangtangkiki

wangtangkiki

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Snugs is a 4WR set that has two WR on each side. It's in the Oakland playbook. [Hard to Explain]

Snugs Flip is another 4WR set that has two WR on each side. It's in the Denver playbook.

Snugs:
...X OO[x]OO X...
X.....................X
...........Q...H.......

Snugs Flip:
.X...OO[x]OO...X
....X..............X...
...........Q...H.......

Q = QB, H = RB

I don't know why they call it snugs.. probably because they are so close together.. it's snuggly LOL

You'll see formations like "Y-Trips HB Wk" The RB will be on the left, there will be a TE on the LOS on the right, then two WRs OFF the LOS on the right to form the Trips. [LOS =Line of Scrimmage.]

You can make Strong formations by motioning your FB right in some I-Form formations.. I think you already knew that..

In Madden, I-Form / Strong are typically better run formations than Weak.. There's just something about weak formations.. they never have any solid runs in them that DONT have auto-motion.
Back to top Go down
black udder

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 8:56 pm

You can wiki American football and find some useful information. I moved over to the US when I was young, but never played football, so I'm in a similar boat.

I don't think the actual play names have anything to do with the set. To make things easier on yourself, choose a few plays and just use them. Pick plays that can beat man, zone or both and give you some variety. Once you're familiar with them, then you could move onto another set of plays or another playbook.
Back to top Go down
huw140269

huw140269

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.

There are a few more which Im not sure of (cant remember without cranking the old PS3 up) - just thought it would be easier for me and less hassle for you guys if I didnt have to keep asking Smile

Sting and predator are 2 terms which come to mind off the top of my head
Back to top Go down
xHHx_JayNizz

xHHx_JayNizz

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 9:57 pm

lol i think when people are thinking of what to call defensive formations. they just play scrabble and take the words off of the board and add 3-4 infront of it.
Back to top Go down
CookieMonsta

CookieMonsta

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 10:04 pm

I'm assuming you are referring the defensive formation 3-4 Predator, or as it is called in the NYJ playbook, 3-4 Rush. It is arguably the best 3-4 formation, and while it is not as successful/dominant as last year due to the decline of A-Gap nanos, it is still very good. "Sting" brings to mind the play Sting Pinch Zone from the 3-4 Over formation, a great blitz and run stopper. It also has a man-coverage counterpart called Sting Pinch.
Back to top Go down
huw140269

huw140269

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 10:54 pm

CookieMonsta wrote:
I'm assuming you are referring the defensive formation 3-4 Predator, or as it is called in the NYJ playbook, 3-4 Rush. It is arguably the best 3-4 formation, and while it is not as successful/dominant as last year due to the decline of A-Gap nanos, it is still very good. "Sting" brings to mind the play Sting Pinch Zone from the 3-4 Over formation, a great blitz and run stopper. It also has a man-coverage counterpart called Sting Pinch.

I realise they are good plays but where do the titles come from ? what does a sting play mean ?
Back to top Go down
bigjbeastin252

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 11:18 pm

Sting because it hurts the QB when thy run that play
Back to top Go down
black udder

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm with xHHx_JayNizz - there is no "sting" play outside of that specific one. It's not like when you say it's a 3-4 defense. That has a meaning. You can say it's a shotgun formation and it means something. Past that, when you get into individual plays, they don't really mean anything to everybody.

Take the mesh play for example. About all you can get out of it is that two players will come cross close together (mesh) to try and get a natural pick and get one of them open.

Terms like A, B & C gap refer to a specific space. There are types of routes (drag, corner, streak, etc.) that are common terms.
Back to top Go down
xHHx_JayNizz

xHHx_JayNizz

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 11:26 pm

huw140269 wrote:
By my avatar I think its obvious Im a Brit, but did live in Arizona for a couple of years. My football knowledge is pretty good, especially compared to your average person outside the US. But saying that Ive never played the game and was wondering if there was anywhere online I could get further information about formations.

For example I know the basics such as nickel, dime on defense and on offence the I Formation is self explanatory as is shotgun but I have a hard time remembering where plays are in my playbook and I think it would be easier if I knew what I was looking for - Im just looking for some info on things that you guys learn in high school because you play the game - Snugs ????? I have no idea what that means ? There are others like that that unless they are mentioned during commentary on a Sunday I have never heard of them

e

are you on PS3 or xbox, and do you have an AIM (Aol Instant Messager)?
I would be glad to help a rookie out.
Back to top Go down
ezekjuninor

ezekjuninor

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 3:32 am

huw140269 wrote:

I had the same problem as you about two years ago...
just go on to Wikipedia and read about all the positions and formations in american football, you'll get used to it after a while
Back to top Go down
huw140269

huw140269

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 7:52 am

Thanks for all the help - Im not really a rookie as the post may have sugested but just unaware of some of the terms. The terms Im unaware of seem to have no real meaning anyway so its not a problem.
Back to top Go down
black udder

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 9:18 am

huw140269 wrote:
The terms Im unaware of seem to have no real meaning anyway..."

This is great, ain't it? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Madden and real football help   Madden and real football help Empty

Back to top Go down

Madden and real football help
Page 1 of 1