Madden Bible
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Madden Bible

Home of the Prima Games Madden 12 & NCAA 12 EA Sports Official Game Guide

PortalPortal  HomeHome  FREE Tips!  C4 Online Madden League  My Madden Pad  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Register here today and instantly receive a FREE Madden Bible tip in your inbox!

Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?

Go down 
+6
D-Nice
ravenmaniac
Cochlea
Frunkis
ZFarls
Militant X 1
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Militant X 1

Militant X 1

Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? Empty
PostSubject: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 2:51 pm

where do these terms (and others in the madden community)come from? who used them first?

~Mili
Back to top Go down
ZFarls
Admin
ZFarls

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Maybe we can get top taylor on twim to find out about Dot? Thats an old term i think. Cheese, not sure either although I've been hearing it since 04-05 as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.maddenbible.com
Militant X 1

Militant X 1

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 5:08 pm

ZFarls wrote:
Maybe we can get top taylor on twim to find out about Dot? Thats an old term i think. Cheese, not sure either although I've been hearing it since 04-05 as well.

well, i have been hearing the "cheese" term for a few years now as well. just wondering how a block of cheddar became the "buzz" word in our community for unethical (taking advantage of the AI flaws of the game) game play. hmmm...

~Mili
Back to top Go down
Frunkis

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Cheese didn't originate in madden. It's been a gaming term for a long time. Never heard of dot until TWIM though.
Back to top Go down
Cochlea

Cochlea

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Who else remembers that in some older versions of Street Fighter, if you won a round by killing someone who simply blocked your special ability (which caused a little damage, as opposed to blocking just a regular punch or kick), you got a piece-of-cheese icon as a reminder of how you won? Loved that!
Back to top Go down
Militant X 1

Militant X 1

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Frunkis wrote:
Cheese didn't originate in madden. It's been a gaming term for a long time. Never heard of dot until TWIM though.

personally, i NEVER heard this term used before madden! so what game do you speak of it being used with before this? Question

~Mili
Back to top Go down
ravenmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Militant X 1 wrote:
Frunkis wrote:

personally, i NEVER heard this term used before madden! so what game do you speak of it being used with before this? Question

~Mili

Duck Hunt and Mario Kart 64
Back to top Go down
Militant X 1

Militant X 1

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 9:16 pm

ravenmaniac wrote:
Militant X 1 wrote:
Frunkis wrote:

~Mili

Duck Hunt and Mario Kart 64

from nintendo? i don't remember that term being used in that game! lol!

~Mili
Back to top Go down
D-Nice

D-Nice

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 9:59 pm

Yea Cheese has been around for a minute. As far as "Dot" goes. I think the earliest I remember hearing was maybe 06-07
Back to top Go down
wangtangkiki

wangtangkiki

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Another thing, why do people say stuff like "minute." A minute isn't a long time. Instead of saying "it's been around for a minute" how about "it's been around for years or a long time."

._.

It's just one thing that annoys me that a bunch of people say.. people started saying that here in high school.
Back to top Go down
Frunkis

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 10:23 pm

Militant X 1 wrote:
Frunkis wrote:

~Mili

Someone just mentioned it was in Street Fighter 2 Alpha and that was like the mid 90s. It was part of the lexicon of pretty much any 1v1 game.
Back to top Go down
D-Nice

D-Nice

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 11:19 pm

wangtangkiki wrote:
Another thing, why do people say stuff like "minute." A minute isn't a long time. Instead of saying "it's been around for a minute" how about "it's been around for years or a long time."

._.

It's just one thing that annoys me that a bunch of people say.. people started saying that here in high school.

LMAO Sorry you feel that way Bro. But I've been sayin that for a "Minute" now
Back to top Go down
ticklemeelmo

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 11:32 pm

i wanna know how dot started cause that makes no sense to me. but cheese seems logical if your talking about swiss cheese because it has holes in it, which would make since when talking about madden and the use of the word cheese being like holes in the game that makes people able to exploit certain things.
Back to top Go down
Frunkis

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 pm

ticklemeelmo wrote:
i wanna know how dot started cause that makes no sense to me. but cheese seems logical if your talking about swiss cheese because it has holes in it, which would make since when talking about madden and the use of the word cheese being like holes in the game that makes people able to exploit certain things.

Cheese is from cheesy. Cheesy is something that's cheap.
Back to top Go down
ticklemeelmo

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:49 am

that makes more sense, but i think mine could be a good reason too.
Back to top Go down
xHHx_VaBeach757

xHHx_VaBeach757

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 am

Skeem U wrote:
wangtangkiki wrote:

._.

LMAO Sorry you feel that way Bro. But I've been sayin that for a "Minute" now

LOL @ that quote, CLASSIC.

but as far as cheese goes.....
cheese as been around since the nintendo days. the original word was "cheesy". then it evolved to just "cheese". it refers to someone using a very cheap tactic to win or gain advantage

but as far as dot goes.....
ive only heard it during this next gen madden era

gFF
Back to top Go down
Militant X 1

Militant X 1

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 11:32 am

wangtangkiki wrote:

._.

lol! it's slang....Wang! lol!

~Mili
Back to top Go down
bears5410

bears5410

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Ha i remember the term "cheese" from the days of mortal combat in the arcade. There was a way that if you lined it up right, as soon as you knocked your opponent down, you could keep sweeping him and he would not be bale to get up... People used to get very mad and accused you of "cheesing"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?   Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who Started The Terms...Cheese or Dot?
Page 1 of 1