Madden Bible
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Madden Bible

Home of the Prima Games Madden 12 & NCAA 12 EA Sports Official Game Guide

PortalPortal  HomeHome  FREE Tips!  C4 Online Madden League  My Madden Pad  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Register here today and instantly receive a FREE Madden Bible tip in your inbox!

Can realism get in the way of gameplay?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bakagaijin

bakagaijin

Can realism get in the way of gameplay? Empty
PostSubject: Can realism get in the way of gameplay?   Can realism get in the way of gameplay? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 5:10 pm

Just a philosophical question. Do you think it is possible that at some point making the game more and more like the NFL could get in the way of the game being fun to play?

The reason I ask is that in many ways, I think Madden 10 is probably more realistic than Madden 09. And, I know the demo just barely came out but I have to say, it just does not seem as fun as Madden '09. I'm probably jumping the gun in that assessment but it made me think about whether EA should in every case be trying to make the game as close to the real NFL football experience as possible. I mean after all it is still just a video game.
Back to top Go down
i3rian 87

i3rian 87

PostSubject: Re: Can realism get in the way of gameplay?   Can realism get in the way of gameplay? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 6:46 pm

Thats actually a pretty solid point.

Heres the thing, in my opinion, it is inevitable for the game to eventually become more and more like the NFL. It is just that way due to modern technology and the evolution of the game. Just look over the past two seasons, using the quarterback for example. Last season, for accuracy, it was simply THA. Now, there is a Short THA, Medium THA, and Long/Deep(not sure which one it is) THA. It will make a quarterback like Tavarious Jackson or Pat White a less viable quarterback than your Brady, Manning, or even your Hasselback most likely. Sure their speed is great, but for the most part, NFL teams and offenses have thrived off of pocket passers... there have been times where scrambling quarterbacks have been very effective (Cunningham, Moon, McNair, Vick).

Also, from Madden 09 to Madden 10, with the "removal of the rocket catch" the game is definitely more realistic (removal of RC in quotes because officially its too short of a time to really tell if its gone or if a new fancy pants catch will develop). The reason the rocket catch is completely unrealistic is because it involves someone running at maximum velocity and stopping on a time to turn around and catch a high pass, which is completely unrealistic in real life.

So what does this mean? Well, it would definitely mean that the 'high class' players are more on the norm than they once were. It was hard to be good at Madden 09 without the rocket catch. Yes, you could be effective without it, however if you played someone that couldn't do it you most likely whooped up on them. But, to be completely honest, I would say that at MOST, 30% of the people who play Madden play it at the competitive level, such as online leagues, playing at Madden Challenges/major tournaments such as KOTC and Players Bowl, and look online to sites for overall help with their game. Meaning that the other 70% of the gamers just play with their friends casually, or play dynasty modes and are extremely content with that, not trying to FB Dive, Curl Route, WR Screen, and RC their way up and down the field, and playing more Simulation Style (Real Life Style) and that means that EA Sports is doing the right thing by making the game more realistic.

However, after all, it is a video game. Pretty much every video game ever released has always had a some form of a glitch. It could be a glitch where you can walk through a wall of a level if you enter at a certain angle and speed, or it could be in Madden terms where you have something like the rocket catch, or it could be in the form of Flag routes(or corner routes) in Madden 2006 allowing the receiver to get open every play (at least I think it was Madden 2006, could have been 2005).

As much as I ultimately think that year after year it gets more realistic, its a video game, and that means that there is always going to be a way to beat, cheat, or glitch the computer or person your playing. I am strongly convinced that with the deletion of the Rocket Catch, there will be something new that will make the game a video game after all, whether it is a certain route that will provide a better angle, or a quick slant pattern that is hard to stop, and thats just the way it is.
Back to top Go down
http://fourdownterritoryblog.blogspot.com/
bakagaijin

bakagaijin

PostSubject: Re: Can realism get in the way of gameplay?   Can realism get in the way of gameplay? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 7:42 pm

i3rian 87 wrote:

As much as I ultimately think that year after year it gets more realistic, its a video game, and that means that there is always going to be a way to beat, cheat, or glitch the computer or person your playing. I am strongly convinced that with the deletion of the Rocket Catch, there will be something new that will make the game a video game after all, whether it is a certain route that will provide a better angle, or a quick slant pattern that is hard to stop, and thats just the way it is.

Good thoughts.

As I have been thinking about why I feel like the game "is not as fun as '09", I think for me is has to do with the speed. Somehow I am not getting the same sense of power and quickness from these digital athletes compared to 09. The drop in speed and toned down ball carrier moves etc., seems to have reduced the level of adrenaline rush I used to feel with 09.

Does that make sense to anyone?
Back to top Go down
ELeiser17

ELeiser17

PostSubject: Re: Can realism get in the way of gameplay?   Can realism get in the way of gameplay? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 8:43 pm

bakagaijin wrote:
As I have been thinking about why I feel like the game "is not as fun as '09", I think for me is has to do with the speed. Somehow I am not getting the same sense of power and quickness from these digital athletes compared to 09. The drop in speed and toned down ball carrier moves etc., seems to have reduced the level of adrenaline rush I used to feel with 09.

Does that make sense to anyone?

It makes sense to me even though I haven't played the demo yet.
Back to top Go down
ZFarls
Admin
ZFarls

PostSubject: Re: Can realism get in the way of gameplay?   Can realism get in the way of gameplay? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 9:01 am

Its still early (in the day) I need my coffee to kick in before I tackle this topic.

Im thinking podcast tho! These are questions we need for the maddenbible mailbag. Hell yeah guys, now your thinking like a maddenbibler!
Back to top Go down
http://www.maddenbible.com
bakagaijin

bakagaijin

PostSubject: Re: Can realism get in the way of gameplay?   Can realism get in the way of gameplay? EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 10:57 am

ZFarls wrote:
Its still early (in the day) I need my coffee to kick in before I tackle this topic.

Im thinking podcast tho! These are questions we need for the maddenbible mailbag. Hell yeah guys, now your thinking like a maddenbibler!

Sounds good. Some more food for thought though on this idea: Have you ever driven an old boat car like maybe a Cadillac from the 1970s? You turn the wheel about 4 times around before you start to feel the car move. That's how it feels with Madden 10 to me. And it relates directly to the realism vs. gameplay idea because at some point, it is not realistic to expect a football player to cut back and forth like a jackrabbit with superglue on his feet and bionic knees. But to me it is more fun because it feels like you are in control of the player. The game feels unresponsive but I think it is because they tried to make the player move like real players. A real player cannot make a cut without slowing down a little, changing direction and the accelerating again. If they try, they will fall on their ass or blow out an ACL.

I hope to god I get used to it because I hate to think of what I will do all year without Madden.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can realism get in the way of gameplay?   Can realism get in the way of gameplay? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can realism get in the way of gameplay?
Page 1 of 1